Welcome

Welcome to the blog of Kent Morris for Maranoa Reional Council!
You may also like to check out my facebook page at
www.facebook.com/kentforcouncil

Saturday 21 January 2012

What does it take to be a Councillor



Last weekend, I was having a couple of beers at Dunkeld when the subject of my tilt at council came up in conversation.

I was speaking with Lex Mason, who was a councillor of the former Warroo shire up until it was amalgamated into the Maranoa Regional Council. I asked Lex about his experience in local government and if he had any pointers.

He offered me plenty of advice for which I am grateful.  Some of which is also good advice for life in general, so I’ve decided to share some of it with you:

Don’t be afraid to have strong opinions
People need to know what you believe in and what you think; no-one ever won the prise for being mediocre

Know your subject
If you are going to have an opinion on something, you need to know the facts BEFORE you form your opinion.

You can’t take back what you say
Make sure you say what you REALLY mean and try to make sure you cannot be misinterpreted.

Everyone is your boss
You need to treat all people as if they are your employer, being their councillor is like being their mechanic, you are providing a service and they have the right not to engage you to provide that service.

Be yourself
People need to know who you really are and what you are really like, no-one likes anyone who is insincere.

I particularly valued this advice from Lex, His experience as a councillor spanned a career of over 25 years and for all of that time he was respected by his constituents, his fellow councillors and the council staff.

I particularly hope that, should I be elected, I can be the kind of Councillor he was. They say that amalgamation has changed the role of Councillor, but there are some things that will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment